Wednesday, December 31, 2014

The Best Thing I Ate in 2014: Hattie B's Hot Chicken

Since 2014 has just a few hours left, I've decided to eek out a few end of the year posts. I thought about doing a food list, but since the Internet is filled with lists galore, I decided one post devoted to my favorite dish should suffice. My best, by far, of 2014 was Hattie B's Hot Chicken. Hot chicken is exclusive to Nashville, and once you've tasted it, you'll wish it would come to your town. 


Behold: The magic that is Hattie B's hot chicken. 

Hot chicken is fried chicken that's spiced just right. The hottest at Hattie B's is called "Shut the Cluck Up." (wink. wink.) I ordered mild, but I wish I'd gotten it hotter. But then again, I like my pho so spicy that it makes me cry when I'l almost finished, so to each his own. But one thing's for sure: you must try this. Eating hot chicken in Nashville should be a commandment. Right up there with "thou shall not steal." 

Hattie B's chicken is hot, juicy and tender. From the moment you sink your teeth into that bird, you won't want to stop. The skin gives just the right amount of crisp and crunch that gives way to that succulent meat. And this is coming from someone who didn't eat meat for a decade. But the chicken's just the start. You'll want sides too. The fries were just crispy enough without feeling soggy or greasy. But the real winner here was the mac n cheese. This creamy concoction was probably the best variation of the dish I've ever had. Writing this post has even got me salivating just a tiny bit. 

And my final confession? I ate Hattie B's right before I left Nashville and pulled off at the very first road stop to finish it. I just had to have it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS