Sunday, September 13, 2015

Paradise in Paradise: A Review of The Ikal Spa at InterContinental's Cancun Hotel

The best spas really are like paradise. You're whisked away somewhere fabulous, invited to stay just a few hours before it's back to the daily grind. But what's a hotel to do when it's smack dab of the middle of a stunning stretch of Cancun beach and all the guests are constantly surrounded by paradise? That's what the InterContinental Presidente Cancun Resort has attempted to answer with its brand new Ikal spa--the first on property. 

Isn't that just gorgeous?

After you've slid open a glass door, get ready to be surrounded by a soothing gray and off-white environment. Hibiscus flowers are floating in standing water. After you're greeted at the front desk, you'll get to relax on some comfy lounge chairs. Nosh on fresh fruit or tasty oatmeal cookies (I may have had three or four) while you wait for your treatment. 

                                       You'll love this table full of treats. Tip: Try the cookies first.

                                              The doorway to spa heaven.

Treatment rooms all have Mayan names. The rooms are standard spa rooms. There's a massage table, a counter with a sink and a heater for towels. There's a couples massage room too if you'd like to receive a treatment at the same time as your lover or friend. 

The treatment menu features massages, aromatherapy and reflexology. The menu also incorporates Mayan techniques into the mix with offerings like the Aroma Mayan Experience--a massage that uses scents like lavender, bergamot and chamomile to help you and your muscles really unwind. My 80-minute signature massage helped me relax and worked out some of the tight spots in my muscles. I carried that feeling with me throughout my day. 


The centerpiece of the spa is this gorgeous pool. Yes, I had a great time relaxing in here.



The centerpiece of the spa is a pool modeled after a cenote--a natural pit that fills with groud water. The pool in the center--turn on the jets to soothe your muscles or leave them off to relax in the still water. The white loungers surrounding the pool are exactly where you'll want to lay back and read or rest. I had my trusty September issue of Glamour with me the whole time.

You'll love lounging on these chic white loungers when you're not taking dip.

I found it very soothing to relax in the water and then lounge by the pool. My only complaint was the door faced the hallway where the staff was wandering around, which meant the noise from the hall spilled over into the lounge area. It's a small space, so I understand that there's not much that can be done about that though. 

Additional amenities include a salon and a locker room that comes complete with showers and a steam room too. I personally loved the ultra-modern rainwater showerheads. 

                                                    The spa's locker room. 


                                                       I loved this shower. 

Overall, I can say that the spa is a perfect place to relax and enjoy a treatment if you're in Cancun. And after you're done, you can lay on the beach that's just a few steps away to sink deeper into a state of tranquility. After all, you're in paradise wherever you are at this hotel.




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS